Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 2: The Hike that Almost Killed Me

2 miles in and we had 3.8 to get to the vista
Day 1: The Garden Isle

Day two began with a drive across the island to Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park. We headed up pretty early since we had a VERY long hike to do. We stopped briefly at Puu Hinahina Lookout and then continued on our way to park at the Awa'awapuhi Trail head. Once we parked, it was 7:30am, we walked about 2 miles to the Nu'alolo Trail head and officially began the hike. We walked 3.8 miles to the Lolo Vista and had a lunch break. After that we backed tracked about .5 miles to pick up the Nu'alolo Cliff Trail, a 2.1 mile trail that took us the Awa'awapuhi Trail. We walked the .3 miles to the vista and then walked all the way back to the car, another 3.1 miles! That is 11.8 miles people!!!! Our pedometer read just over 11 miles but who's counting at point! After it was all said and done (we finished around 2:45pm)I would say it was a pretty difficult hike but well worth it for the views. This was the first real hike I would say I have gone on. I have taken long walks up and down rolling hills but nothing compares to this. I also think I had some bad inserts in by hiking boots and that also lead to my demise on the hike… Kauai 1 – Alexa 0!

Lolo Vista


After the hike we drove back to the hotel and washed up in time to have dinner at Rum Fire, the Sheraton's resort restaurant. It was Thanksgiving Day and they were only offering the buffet, which I was hoping they would offer their regular menu as well as buffets don’t make sense for me cost wise. They had the traditional turkey dinner and then they had sushi. My husband said the sushi was really good but my traditional meal was just okay. I also thought it was WAY overpriced.

Awa'awapuhi Vista
To stay hydrated we used Camelbaks, get yours here!

Mahalo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...