Monday, May 20, 2013

Affordable US Getaways


Traveling with kids can be hard sometimes most of the time. I remember when I was younger having to sit next to my younger brother in the 3-4 hour car ride to the beach was just the worse! Some of these trips would have made an awesome road trip with friends! So, if you're in driving distance of some of these US cites you're bound to have a good time! Or maybe some of these might be some staycations for you. I have been to 4 out of 10 of these…maybe because 3 of them are in my home state of Texas!


No. 1 Kansas City, MO 

Average hotel summer rate is $137. You'll have free admission to three of Kansas City’s main art museums, as well as the Hallmark Visitors Center and the Boulevard Brewing Company. And don’t forget to try some of that famous KC BBQ!

No. 2 Nashville, TN 

As a lifelong fan of country music I have always wanted to go to Nashville but have yet to make it there. Seems like there is so much to do and see. This would have made an awesome road trip in college!

No. 3 San Antonio, TX 

I was born and raised right outside of San Antonio and I do agree that there is plenty to do and see here. You can check out some suggestions I made in a post about Staycations. San Antonio has two theme parks (Sea World & Six Flags and Schlitterbahn is about 45 mins north in New Braunfels) and great zoo! You can also get a history lesson at the Alamo!

No. 4 Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn. 

I have visited this are twice during the summers and it doesn’t get much better! The Land of 1,000 lakes should keep you occupied if you love water sports! Although I haven’t been here for a vacation or to site see I still had a great time.

No. 5 Memphis, TN

I'm not really sure why Memphis made this list since Forbes has it listed as one of 2013's most dangerous cites….let's not go here.


No. 6 Salt Lake City, UT


I bet Salt Lake is wonderful during the summer. I would love to go and get some hiking in if I ever make it out of the airport. While during a layover here is when I was introduced to this wonderful breakfast concoction probably about 10-13 years ago. Toasted bagel, melted cheese, and ham….yum! But only for special occasions :)

No. 7 Houston, TX

What can I say about my current city…well honestly not much and I don’t see why it's on this list. I don’t really think there is a whole lot to here. Since it is such a big city we do get some good concerts and there is always a play or two running at the Hobby Center. We have our professional sports if that’s your thing (but it's not mine) and I guess we're close to a beach (but not a pretty one). There is NASA for all you space fans out there. And its effing HOT!!! Not just temperature wise but also because of the humidity. If you do want to visit Houston come during the winter.

No. 8 Savannah, GA

I have always wanted to go here…I feel like Savannah is the quintessential southern town!

No. 9 Austin, TX

If you're in Austin you're ready to have a good time. The city is youthful thanks to the University of Texas and all off the live music. Don’t forget to hike some of the hills and take a dip in Barton Springs.

No. 10 Providence, R.I.

I have never been to Providence but I can imagine that its wonderful during the summers!

Have you been to any of these cities?


3 comments:

  1. I saw Houston on the top of a travel list also this year, and I burst out laughing. I'm so spoiled! I loved Minneapolis but I didn't get to spend much time there as it was for a wedding. Very clean city!! I would LOVE to go to Tennessee and Savannah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list because it's all different cities, you hear a lot about trips to Vegas, NYC, and Chicago but less about Minneapolis and Providence. I know of another secret spot that is affordable and fun for both the adventurer and the person looking to relax and decompress. Santa Catalina Island, a small 22 mile long Island off the coast in Southern California. It's the perfect getaway you can check out their site for more info and catalina island packages. I just came back myself and it was amazing. Hiked and turned off technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment Rob, Catalina is on my list of things to when I make it back to California!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...